Monday, July 18, 2016

TEdit - Text editor in GW-Basic

TEdit - Text editor in GW-Basic
.
"TEdit" was name of Text Editor once I made in "GW-Basic" running on dos 2.x running on PC 286 with 1 MB ram. I do not know how and why but day before yesterday it came to my mind. I made that text editor to simulate EDIT from Microsoft and some features from Turbo C 2 IDE. And experience was very enjoyable.
.
Entire code of "TEdit" was running around a small loop checking for keyboard input. From that loop program was branching to subroutines on demand and there were a lot of subroutines. In "GW-Basic" program size limit was 64k and "TEdit" was touching that limit.
.
During and after making "TEdit" I was really feeling proud of myself because of  it’s features.
.
I want to, but cannot put any screen shots of “TEdit” here because I do not have any. Although I do have “TEdit” but have no computer to run it. Because “TEdit” was saved on floppy disk 720K (double-density), only storage device attached to my that PC 286.
.
And after “TEdit” came to my mind and I wrote about it here, also came into my mind a chess game also made by me in "GW-Basic" running on Dos 2.x running on PC 286  with 1 MB ram.
.
I was really excited when that chess game for the first time made a move on it's own. It's size was also near 64k and most of it's lines were near 255 bytes long (max limit for code line).
.
I still really love that setup and time. Then I used to dream of making an OS for pc also.
.
[ Note: Whenever I remember their correct date, I'll share that here. Also whenever I will be able to run these softwares I will share their screen shots here. ]
.

If there are any mistakes then I will surely remove them whenever found.

.


No comments:

Post a Comment